John Clark
John Clark,
Experience:  Owner/Operator/DVM at John Clark
86122103

My dog doesn't eat very well anymore. He has lower energy.

Customer Question

My dog doesn't eat very well anymore. He has lower energy. He has a hard time going up the stairs to our home. I know he is older but this had me concerned, so, I took him to the vet. She found a very solid, hard flat fist size mass in front of his right back leg . She took an xray, said it was a tumor, she wants to do exploratory surgery. Is this safe for older dogs?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Not that I would know to tell you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  John Clark replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am the veterinarian. Your veterinarian must have a suspicion that there are masses inside the body and that is why she has suggested the exploratory. She should and most likely has:

1. Done blood work to make sure that the liver and kidneys function properly and that there are sufficient red blood cells

2. Listened to the heart to make sure that there are no murmurs

As with humans, anesthetic risk goes up with age but many procedures are done on older dogs, including the exploratory.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If she only took an xray should I be concerned?

I am uncertain of how many x-rays she took. Obviously one of the leg, and possibly some of the abdomen that may be giving her some cause for concern, and hence the exploratory suggestion. She will have listened to the heart and if you decide to do the exploratory then I am sure she will do the blood work prior to going under anesthesia.

Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

John Clark