Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has flees, i gave him fronline twice in one month. I

Customer Question

My dog has flees, i gave him fronline twice in one month. I washed him twice with flee medication. I vacuum every day. I washed all blankets and pillows ect.. 4 to 5 times. I found a living flee on the blanket recently. What else should i do? I only have one dog, no other animals. I live in a 2 bedroom small house. Please help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He itches and bites constantly. I shaved him. I see no flees. He does have a bite rash all on his back. I put aloe on him. He weighs 12 pounds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am very sorry to hear that Rocky has been struggling with fleas. First, I do need to warn you that we are seeing this very problem with Frontline in recent years. The drug (Fipronil) has been around long enough now that fleas are gaining a resistance to it. (Its same reason the grocery store medications with older drugs work poorly). Therefore, the first step is to switch Rocky to a newer treatment (ie Advantage Multi, Bravecto, Activyl, Advantix, etc) to make sure we are killing those fleas.

Furthermore, make sure when you treat your house its after you have vacuumed (since the vibrations are encouraging flea eggs to hatch) and make sure to use an IGR (insect growth regulator) containing flea product to kill not just the adults but the larvae and eggs. That way you are killing each flea generation and won't see the next wave arise in a few weeks. And I'd note that if you have a yard, that may need to be treated too since the fleas can come in from outside.

Finally, since the itching fleas cause our dogs is actually due to an allergic reaction to the flea's saliva, you need to address that allergy. If Rocky's signs are mild, you can use an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Though if he is severely affected then you can speak to your vet about a long acting steroid injection to get this settled. And finally, if you are bathing him, since flea shampoo does little for them consider using an emollient shampoo (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based) to soothe his skin instead.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )