Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I painted a small door and my 24 lb dachshund walked in a

Customer Question

I painted a small door and my 24 lb dachshund walked in a few spots that was on the news paper. Next thing he is scratching his face on me. I thought it was his ears, I looked and they are purple,his gums also purple his foot swelled up hugely, so I gave him a bath really good and gave him 1 benedryl. He stopped scratching his feet and the one foot is going down. He didn't eat any and it's been about 2 hours when I painted the door. All windows are open and we're open. I have no chacoal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes and there is none
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Copper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Copper?
Customer: We have been treating him him for a fungal infection,which is almost gone. Coppers face is still swollen a little bit he has thrown up his food when he ate it not sure.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like he is having an allergic reaction.

Did he vomit since you gave him the benadryl or before?

Do you think the swelling of his face is going down?

Do you have an emergency vet available where you live?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he has vomited about 30 minute's after I gave it to him. Yes his face is starting to go down along with his foot. The only vet we have is livestock vet. The next emergency one is over a hour away
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thought you were asking to call me sorry.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Will the livestock vet occasionally see small animals? Truly, the safest thing for your dog would be for him to receive a steroid injection in addition to the benadryl, to stop the inflammatory cascade that is causing this reaction. In some cases, benadryl alone is enough to control signs, but in other cases, the benadryl can provide some temporary improvement but then the symptoms will return or worsen (vomiting, facial swelling, hives, progressing to difficulty breathing) and in some cases can become life threatening.

I think it would be worth giving the livestock vet a call, because it is quite possible that they may be willing to give your dog a steroid and benadryl injection for you, they would be drugs that they might have on hand.

How much does your dog weigh and how many miligrams of benadryl did you give?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I gave him 1- 25 mg he weighs about 23 lbs. I TRIED TO CALL HIM EARLIER BUT HE WAS DELIVERING
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry about the caps on cell phone
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do have some steroid pills here that are people
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have some 20 mg of prednisone
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still here
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately I cannot legally advise you to give a prescription medication such as prednisone to your pet without having examined them in person. The other issue is that if your pet is vomiting, it is possible that the steroid will be vomited back up. Ideally we give injections of benadryl and a steroid to get the maximum effects ASAP. I would try calling the livestock vet again to see if they are available now. I can also opt out of your question in case another vet here is willing to advise you on other medications you can give your pet if you prefer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please and thankyou
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Ok. I will opt out of your question, and perhaps there is another vet here who will feel more comfortable recommending prescription medications, it is just something I am not able to do.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I"ll follow up for Jess K for you. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Copper, please?

As long as there isn't a concomitant disorder in which prednisone would be contraindicated (cardiac or renal insufficiency, diabetes mellitus or Cushing's disease), I like the idea of your administering prednisone at a dose of 0.5 mg/lb once and seeing how it affected Copper.