Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog just started to lick the couch and her nose

Customer Question

My dog just started to lick the couch and her nose excessively like she has peanut butter in her mouth. Her ears are also back like she is alert instead of relaxing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Skye. 9.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skye?
Customer: Nope.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Skye is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. When you see these sorts of symptoms in my experience it usually means that the dog is feeling nauseous and she may soon have a bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea on the way. It could be that this will just pass given time of course, but I will give you some tips on how to handle things if a bout of gastroenteritis does occur.

2. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

3. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

4. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for large dogs.

5. Of course if further symptoms do occur and any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Skye's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Skye is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect nausea ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?