Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Dog got deep cut in his mouth today during fetching his

Customer Question

My Dog got deep cut in his mouth today during fetching his fav wooden stick. The cut in deep inside his upper jaw close to tongue. There was some bleed earlier. Now it seems he is in pain. I need to take him to his vet tomorrow morning..
But in meantime is there any thing there to get his pain down ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Max has this problem, hopefully your vet will be easily able to sort it out tomorrow, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. In terms of over the counter human pain killers you really only have one option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } or Ibuprofen for example all of which should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Max's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Max is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cut in his mouth ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Aravind,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?