Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Chihuahua was caught chewing on a Lidocaine patch (a used

Customer Question

My Chihuahua was caught chewing on a Lidocaine patch (a used one) that I use for shoulder pain. She's not showing any systems of being poisoned that I can see or acting strange I'm recovering from knee replacement surgery and can't drive, PLEASE HELP me I'm very scared for her, should I try to get her to eat, throw up, what?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Did she ingest any of the patch itself? How long was the patch on before being removed?

And how long ago did this occur?

The good news is that the patch was used and little to none was actually ingested.

Lidoderm patches contain about 665 mg or Lidocaine even if it is used. A expired lidocaine patch may have slightly less effective medication in it though the medication still could has some effects.

Honestly if she chewed on the corner then she should not have too much of a chance at absorbing very much into her system. The dose of a dog her size that could show some side effects would be if she ate or ingested about 1/4 of the drug in the patch therefore I do not think that he did this and she should be just fine.

The side effects that I would watch for with this drug would be vomiting most commonly. If she does this it would be most commonly seen within the first two hours after ingestion. If you do see her vomiting then it would be wise to take her to an emergency clinic as this drug can also affect the heart rate of dogs and this would need to be monitored overnight.

Overall she should be perfectly fine but best to know what to monitor for in these scenarios

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Just to confirm was this a 5% patch? How much does she weigh specifically? Thank you

We see toxicity at doses around 15-20mg/kg. The 5% patch your dog chewed on contains approximately 700mgs of Lidocaine so I need an approximate amount ingested and weight to definitively answer this question

I apologize if you are having issues with the chat. I am online another 30 minutes if you are able to respond with questions or concerns...

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Faith feeling? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!