Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She got in to instant ice pack and I dont know if she

Customer Question

she got in to instant ice pack and I dont know if she swallowed any of it. it has calcium amonium nitrate in it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: ruby, 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about ruby?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This is probably not such a serious situation, I have read accounts where dogs that have eaten entire ammonium nitrate ice packs and only suffered moderate vomiting and diarrhoea with no lasting damage. Hopefully Ruby did not swallow much.

2. All you need do for now is to thoroughly flush out your dog's mouth with lukewarm water and then just monitor her for present, then giving her some milk may help settle her stomach.

3. Of course if any odd or unexpected symptoms do occur then you should have her checked over by an ER vet without delay. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if the very unlikely event that Ruby's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Ruby is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ice pack incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?