Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have an 8 year old dachshund mixed with corgy, she's been

Customer Question

Hi there! I have an 8 year old dachshund mixed with corgy, she's been scooting pretty bad for the last couple of months. I took her to the groomer and had her cleaned and got her anal gland squeezed hoping it would help about a month ago, now we've been traveling and staying on a farm and it's getting worse, she cries and scoots on the dirt trying to get some kind of relief and looks at me desperate for help. I tried cleaning her private parts with a warm cloth last night, she won't let me near it, it looks very irritated and now there's dirt in there that she won't let me wipe out. Money has been a little tight with our travels and if it can be safely avoided I'd rather not take her to the vet as long as its something I can handle myself. Any help would be so much appreciated by both of us, thanks!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Thank you so much, her name is Maggie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: She's slightly overweight so she has a hard time cleaning herself, I'm sure that's making the situation worse..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr Hill. A few questions for you. Did the grooming with anal gland expression help Maggie feel better? Meaning, did she stop scooting for a while? what is her normal diet? Have you changed her diet in the last few months? Can you take a picture of her bottom and post it for me to look at? thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, after the groomer I noticed she was still scooting within a day or two so it didn't offer her a whole lot of relief. I get her grain free food, she's never had any problems with me changing her food before, I think I got her innova grain free last time I was at petsmart. I will get a couple of photos for you now and send them over for you.

Great. Thank you. Make sure to hold her tail up for the photo. I would avoid changing her food because her symptoms can be a sign of intolerance to a different diet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I should have specified, I don't think its her bum, I'm positive its her vagina. I took the photo for you but the website is telling me the file is too big to send you...

Is she intact? Is there any discharge from her vulva?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Intact? Does that mean is she fixed? Is there an email address or anything that I could send the photo to so you can see it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its very irritated, red and because of the dirt I can't tell if there's any discharge but I'm pretty sure there is yes.

Intact means not spayed. If she is not spayed and has irritation on her vulva and discharge, then I worry about a uterine infection, called a pyometra. Pyometra can be life threatening if left untreated. I have to sign off for a few hours. You should be able to contact Just Answer for help posting the picture. I am a user of the sight, like you. I will check in later today to see if you were able to post. Has she been eating and drinking normally? Have you noticed that her water consumption has increased?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's spayed, no changes in eating or drinking habits. Maybe eating a little less but I figured that was just from the stress of traveling.

It could still be allergic in nature. I would consider a trial with diphenhydramine (plain benadryl) 1 mg per pound of body weight twice daily an see if that helps with the irritation. Still try to send a picture if possible. Feel free to ask follow up questions. You can continue to post on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating. Take care.