Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dry wretching cough, Broni .... 5-6 yrs old lab mix 85 lbs,

Customer Question

Dry wretching cough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Broni .... 5-6 yrs old lab mix 85 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Broni?
Customer: Coughing just started yesterday ... ocassionaly I see some white mucous/ foam expelled
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any breathing changes with this?

Can Broni keep food/water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One minute
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gums are pink
And he can keep food and water down
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I told your Asst that he is a lab mix and weighed 85 lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

I can see you noted his weight and breed which are fine. In any case, those questions I asked were more relevant here .Now when a young dog like Broni starts to cough, we do have a few concerns. First, if he has perhaps irritated his throat (ie eating grass, hard kibble, eating bits of a chew, etc), then this could cause the cough you are hearing. Otherwise, common causes of see coughing include bacterial upper airway infections (ie kennel cough), parainfluenza and bacterial tracheitis. As well, but hopefully less likely with his sudden onset, we can see coughing with lung disease, heart troubles, and associated with some respiratory parasites (ie lungworm, heartworm).

Therefore, with all of this in mind, we do need to monitor him closely. If his signs are mild and since he is otherwise well, you can try him on a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed.

Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with him. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving him to cough. Furthermore, if he has a throat irritation, then soaking his kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce his signs.

Overall, if his signs are sudden in appearance, then the a bit of throat irritation and our infectious causes would be most likely for him. Therefore, you can soothe his throat with the above if his signs are mild. That said, if Broni doesn't settle within a day or so, then it'd be advisable to have him checked by his vet. They can confirm if a bacterial or viral infection is suspect and can also listen to his lungs and heart to make sure these are not playing a role in his cough. Depending on their findings, they can address infectious cases with antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories to nip this in the bud for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tyvm
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome,my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you (there is no extra cost to you). Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would like to ask a follow up question please.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

You are welcome to, but you will need to leave feedback/rating wit the stars if you are to do so.

Best wishes

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.