Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 6 month old mayon poodle ate several packages of

Customer Question

My 6 month old mayon poodle ate several packages of loratadine. At lest 20 pills. What do I do?? Debs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there Debs

Thanks for your question. This is a huge ingestion of Loratadine for a little dog. When did she ingest these please? ie - how long ago?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Are you there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1 to 2 hours
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1 to 2 hours ago
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your reply Debs.

There is no doubt that this is a toxic amount for your girl Jewels and she needs to vomit these tablets asap. She is still just in the window where the tablets are likely sitting in her stomach. The best next step is to get your girl down to your local after hours or ER vet where they can induce vomiting using the drug apomorphine. They can then give activated charcoal if they thing she still has some tablets in her system, as well as start her on fluids and monitor her. Common adverse effects of loratadine are sedation, lethargy, dry mouth, vomiting, possible diarrhea, and possible decreased tear production, but at the amount your girl has ingested, we could even expect worse than this without any veterinary intervention. While Loratidine is used in veterinary medicine, it is used at a very small dose - you can read more about the drug online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/loratadine-claritin-alavert

If, for some reason, you can't get her seen straight away, you will need to induce vomiting immediately from home and then head in to your local ER vet. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about half an hour - she will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

All the best with Jewels and please do catch up with your local vet straight away if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need any extra help here Debbie.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.
Hi Debbie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc