Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Small dog maybe ate dcon mouse poison. small light blue

Customer Question

small dog maybe ate dcon mouse poison.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: small light blue pellets were on the floor, It was Dcon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: dog is15 to 20lbs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much?

How long ago?

What is the listed active ingredient?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure. Maybe 10 pellets. Pellets were on floor,
30 minutes
Brodifacoum
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Oh dear,

Now we need to act fast but we are going to need your wee one to the vets as soon as possible for a follow up with Vitamin K. THe reason is because this particular toxin is an anti-coagulant and will block his ability to clot his blood. The onset signs isn't instant since the body will have some clotting factors already in circulation, but as those run out we can start to see spontaneous bleeding with this.

Now if it has been 30 minutes, the first step is to get as much of this out of the stomach as possible. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Again after this, we'd want your dog started on injectable Vitamin K1 and treated with this for the next few weeks until the poison stops blocking the clotting factors being made. While we do that, we also need to monitor for paling of the gums, changes to breathing, or bleeding from any orifices as the poison can be very dangerous even in small doses for dogs this size. So, he needs to be seen for that treatment but of course if you struggle with the above at all and need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is less than .25 ounces. Do I still need to induce vomiting?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

The LD50 (where 50% of cases were terminal) is only 1mg for a dog this size. So, I would strongly advise you induce vomiting now.

Please take care,

Dr. B.