Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 60lb lab ate a bunch of medicated treats for her hips.

Customer Question

Hello. My 60lb lab ate a bunch of medicated treats for her hips. She is only suppose to eat 2 a day and she had 30-40. She puked three times last night and once this morning. She seemed to be ok so after 10 hours I fed her a half a cup of dog food and she just puked that up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Goomie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Goomie?
Customer: She's 10. She kind of a puker, but never this much and for this long...?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I will wait for your reply so I know you are in the chat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am currently in the chat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

responding now

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

Generally, these supplements are fairly benign. But, when they ingest that many, it really can cause severe gastrointestinal distresss.

This is now going on in to a second day, so absolutely, a veterinary examination is well worth it. A vet can prescribe some good anti-vomiting medication like Cerenia to help calm the stomach.

In addition!

Even if you have not seen diarrhea, that very well could be an additional complication to address within the next 24 to 48 hours.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. (due to extended release tablets, this is not always a good choice since it can take over 24 hours before its of any benefit)
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

I really like Pepcid A.C. as the best choice from above.
Also, we can't rule-out a additional complication like pancreatitis from ingesting that many treats, so the vet visit is definitely worth it in this situation.

Hope that information helps