Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My golden doodle has a little patch of irritated skin.

Hello, my golden doodle has a little patch of irritated skin. Almost like a rash. It's itchy and on the inside of leg next to stomache. I have a 2 year old and he's a big dog so a quick trip to the vet is quite the event. If you have any home remedies that would be great.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has he had this rash?

2- Is he licking the area?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I noticed him scratching the last couple days. He did start nextguard on the 23rd. He has been outside more lately especially in the ivy playing ball. No licking. No med conditions

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, I do understand the difficulty in handling a big dog with a 2-year-old. In response to your question, a rash in the skin can be caused by a contact allergic dermatitis, infections, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can try:

1- Do not let him lick the affected area or the medication below if he does pick up an E-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much I will try the above

You're welcome. :)