Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Red rashes everywhere with chunks of hair missing :( she

red rashes everywhere with chunks of hair missing :(
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: she seems fine and everything else per normal but those several lesions of rashes and chunks of hair missing are only on her bottom side
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maya she is 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?
Customer: no

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Is she licking/chewing these areas? Is there any way to take a photo of the area? Is she on any medications right now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi dr. she is off and on but it doesn't seem like it bothers her to much..
let me try to take a pic here
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
off and on licking/chewing the areas that is

Got it! Yes, let me know if you are able to take photo!

Has she had this issue before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there a direct email I can send this pic too I just took off my smart phone?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its been ongoing for months now but I just feel like its gotten worse

You can post the photo to our conversation here by clicking on the "attach files" or "add files" link by your "send" button. Let me know if you don't see that...

Has she been on any medications for this or seen a vet for the issue yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no she has not
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I just emailed it to myself as soon as I get it I will attach it here
one moment pls
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i just added the file..did you get it ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
oh there i see it sorry
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there are another couple spots above that but my phone ran out of memory but that is the main issue

Ok. Thanks, ***** ***** through!

Are there any spots that look like pimples (like white heads) in the areas, or spots where there are little circles of dead/dry skin?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not pimples but definitely spots where there are circles of dead dry skin
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just really bad looking red rashes between her groin, where her armpit crevices are if you will..
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also important to not it is just on the bottom side..her top/back are 100% ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i was able to take another pic of two individual spots above the pic i just sent you..

Ok, so if you are seeing the circles of dead dry skin, that is an indication that she has an infection of the skin. These are called epidermal collarettes and unfortunately require antibiotic treatment usually for at least several weeks.

There is likely an underlying allergy component to her problem. It could be a food allergy or an allergy to something in the environment (like a pollen/grass/dust/etc.). Dogs can develop these allergies even as they get older, even if they have never had an issue before.

I would recommend a visit to your vet- they can prescribe an antibiotic to treat the secondary skin infection, as well as either an antihistamine or steroid to help decrease the itch and inflammation of the skin. They may recommend a long term antihistamine trial to start out with. If it becomes a recurring problem, then we can pursue additional things like special diet trials and allergy testing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok do you think this is an urgent matter or is this something that can wait a little?

It isn't an emergency, but it probably is irritating to her and the longer it goes on, the longer it may take to treat, so I wouldn't put it off for too long- does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it does thank you

You are welcome! Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question.

Thank you and best of luck to you and your dog!