Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is nursing and has red rash on stomach and now

Customer Question

My dog is nursing and has red rash on stomach and now puppies got it on their tummies their 6weeks old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Soupy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Soupy?
Customer: That's all thanks, ***** ***** putting anti-fungal cream on because she's not nursing anymore, but wondering if she also needs an antibiotic
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, these rashes tend to be bacterial in nature. Often they are actually Staph infections from the normal skin flora. Therefore, the anti-fungal cream won't likely be of benefit. So, if the areas of rash are small we would want to salt water bathe the skin and apply OTC antibiotic cream 2-3 times daily. Though if the rashes are diffuse and since pups cannot be trusted not to lick topical treatments off, we'd want to consider a check with their vets for a short course of antibiotics to nip this in the bud for them.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.