Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He has red bumps on his stomach by his penis, itching,

Customer Question

He has red bumps on his stomach by his penis, itching, biting at that area.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bandit 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?
Customer: He's acting really weird, shivering, staying away from us. He's a cuddler by nature but he's laying in the hallway and hasn't ate.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Do the bumps have white heads or are they flesh color?

Any sores,ulcers, dander, and crusting?

When did you last treat for fleas and what product did you use?

Any diet change in the months before this started?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It started this morning. They are red no other color. No other sores, etc.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This morning my daughter called and told me he was acting weird. I came home and he was acting normal but now he has red bumps on his belly area. And hasn't ate or drank. He's also shivering.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

If these started this morning and are flesh covered, I'd be suspicious that Bandit may have a contact allergy. This would explain why he is feeling so unwell with this shivering and showing signs of agitation. Possible causes could be a stinginging/biting insect, allergic reactions to products used in the house (ie laundry soap, sprays, carpet powder, etc), or some plants can set these signs off.

In this case, we'd need to counter the allergic reaction. To do so, you can try an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every hoursy) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Or if his signs are too severe for the antihistamine then we'd want to have his vet start long acting injectable steroids.

Finally, if he is causing any soft tissue trauma, then we may need to salt water bathe and and can apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to the suspect hives to reduce them. And if they are quite diffuse, then we can also use an emollient shampoos (ie oat meal based ones) to soothe the skin and help get him settled with this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.