Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog has a bad cough. He is eating and drinking. Not

Customer Question

My dog has a bad cough. He is eating and drinking. Not running a fever. Coughs when he drinks water and tries to play. Is whizzing a little bit. What can I do for him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Bubba. Did the vet give you any medications to help with the cough or to try out?

The concern here with your dog really is if we are dealing with cough due to heart disease or something else. Did they take an x-ray? Would you be able to afford an x-ray to start out with? These are diseases that are all treated differently, so with the presence of a heart murmur it is very hard to tell where to begin without taking an x-ray first.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No they didn't do a scary. They wanted the money first. Do you know of a veterinarian that works with you as I am on ss? I live in Glendale Arizona. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

It looks like there is an ASPCA that has a low cost veterinary services in phoenix. Here is their website: https://aawl.org/veterinary-services. I would call them and see if they can do the x-rays at a lower cost for you. It is hard because unfortunately veterinary offices are small businesses, so for a private practice, it is tough to offer things low cost (or we will go out of business). Sometimes there are shelters that are able to offer things at lower cost though, so I would call them and see if they can do it or know of a lower cost clinic in the area. Some places will let you set up a payment plan if you cannot pay up front as well, if you explain the situation.

Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if that link came through for you and if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question.

You can also discuss with the vet who ends up taking an x-ray whether or not generic prescriptions are available for whatever problem your dog ends up having. Sometimes we can write out a prescription that you can take to a human pharmacy which can be cheaper if a generic version of the drug is available, so definitely inquire about this. Unfortunately, without knowing the underlying cause, there isn't an over the counter medication I can recommend because we may not want to stop the coughing if we have certain diseases.

Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hi Patsy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubba. How is everything going?
Jess K
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please cancel my membership effective immediately thank you