Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Second opinion] - what is an anti pyretic for dogs that we

Customer Question

Second opinion] - what is an anti pyretic for dogs that we might be able to use from around the house for humans? Our dog is in an area where the Vet is not available at all for another 8 hours and there is no option. He is a Weimaraner with a history including survival from a black cobra snake bite 12 months ago. He was given anti venom within 30 minutes of the bite and has bravely pulled through but has ongoing morbidity associated. He is 9 years 3 months. Thank you for answering. Mike Marquette
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I meant to ask for anti-temperature (temperature reducing products) as he is running a high temperature. I also would love any advice regarding ongoing necessary or beneficial treatments that he could receive that will or could improve his quality of life, increase his lifespan and protect him from any likely complications or outcomes from the snake bite by the Black Cobra 12 months ago? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

My excellent colleague mentioned aspirin; I'll add the anti-pyretic acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily.

The venom of the black cobra is made up primarily of neurotoxins which affect the central nervous system. Unless your Weimeraner progressed to a shocky state and suffered a systemic inflammatory response syndrome and multiple organ failure, there's no reason to believe that these neurotoxins have left your dog compromised and needing additional treatments in the form of supplements or drugs. Can you upload a copy of his test results from the time he was treated for the snake bite to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more helpful if I can see how the venom affected him other than as a neurotoxin.

Hi Mike,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?