Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 11 year old chocolate lab was just diagnosed with a brain

My 11 year old chocolate lab was just diagnosed with a brain tumor and he put him on phenobarbital 2x a day because he has been having cluster seizures for the past 2 days. Can I give him an herbal remedy called "Doc Ackermans Epilepsy and Seizure Formula" that has all natural herbs in it along with the phenobarbital? Also, I have to syringe feed him water and I've tried giving him food, but that gets him excited and then he seizures.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: My dog ... a chocolate lab
JA: OK. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about "Doc Ackermans Epilepsy and Seizure Formula"?
Customer: I just want to know if it can be given along with the phenobarbital. The ingredients are Blue Vervain, Chamomile, Ginseng, Nutmeg, Passion Flower, St. John's Wort, Valerian root.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I just recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm sorry for the delay but if you'd still like a reply, I'd be happy to provide one.

I'm sorry that your lab has been diagnosed with a brain mass. I understand that every vet practices differently (and this isn't a question that you've asked about) but in my experience, Keppra or Zonisamide tend to work somewhat better at controlling seizures secondary to a brain mass as opposed to Phenobarbitol or even Potassium Bromide. This may be something to discuss with your vet.

But, to address your specify question, there shouldn't be any contraindications to giving your lab the herbal remedy that you've mentioned.

I'll often suggest Vet Select Nuroplex (Seizure) Formula for my patients although, in all honesty, these products may not be efficacious since controlled studies haven't been done on them.

The following is what I also suggest for my patients which may help to reduce the frequency and/or severity of seizure activity:

1. Magnesiumoxide (not citrate or chloride) at a dose of 200mg/day. Some forms may cause diarrhea; just reduce the dose should this happen.

2. Taurine at a dose of 500mg- 1 gm/day
3. Melatonin at a dose of 1-5mg at night Just double check the label and avoid those with Xylitol since ingredient this can be toxic to dogs.
4. Vitamin B6. Purchase B -50 multiple B- vitamins and give 1/2 day
5. Medium chain triglycerides (unprocessed coconut oil) 1 tsp/day but it should be the unprocessed type
6.Vitamin E 200 IU/day

7.Omega 3 fatty acids

8. SAMe (S-adenosyl-methioine) at a dose of 10 mg/lb once daily

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much! After a seizure, should I try to move him to get up? He hasn't gotten up in 2 days. He seems so exhausted, but I think he should move.

You're more than welcome although I'm sorry I was off my computer when you responded back.

I agree that he should move, too, but if he can't get up on his own, then you may need to use a towel as a sling to help support him.

If he simply can't support his weight (he won't stand or move on his own), then, unfortunately, something else may be going on with him or it may be time to make a final decision about him although it gives me no pleasure to say so:(

Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had to put him down on Thursday...he couldn't get up on his own and he wasn't eating or drinking. It was so hard watching him suffer, it was the only thing I could do for my boy.

Oh, I'm so, so sorry to hear this:( You and your family must be absolutely devastated. I know it was the right decision to have made but I know that this didn't make it any easier that you had to make it.

I hope that you'll be able to take some comfort in knowing that he had a live filled with love and affection and that he was deeply cherished.

My sincerest condolences to you at this sad time. Kindest regards, Deb