petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

My dog was diagnosed with diabetes and she won't eat her WD

My dog was diagnosed with diabetes and she won't eat her WD Science Diet glucose management food that she needs. I've tried cut up chicken mixed in-she only eats the chicken. I've tried baby food dripped on it as well. She won't touch it. She is on antibiotics as a routine to protect against a bladder infection, could that be affecting her appetite? She ate better last night but mornings are terrible.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Which antibiotic is the on?

Was a urine analysis performed and was a bacterial culture performed and found to be positive for an infection?

Is she on insulin therapy as well?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sure I understand. Yes, they did many tests, including the urine analysis, he didn't say definitely yes, but I assumed he found signs of infection-he mentioned that in her case since she had ketoacidosis (spelling,sorry) that most dogs do get a bladder infection. The drug is Bavtril 68mg, 1/2 tablet given twice a day, quantity is 10 tablets. We call yesterday and he had us pick up Mirtazapine 15 mg, 1/4 tablet once a day to improve her appetite-quantity 3 tablets. He mentioned he also had trouble getting her to eat in the ICU. She is on insulin therapy of 2cc morning and evening after each meal. But when she wouldn't eat yesterday morning he said drop the dose to 1cc when she doesn't eat more than some chicken. Thank you, ***** ***** been online also trying to get ideas from other "pet parents" of diabetic dogs. None of their ideas are working.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
They kept her in the hospital until all the keytones were gone.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I also understand that fat is bad for her pancreas, does that mean she can't have any fat at all, and if so what would be the daily max?

Thank you for the prompt reply.

While it is true that a urinary tract infection can precipitate diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), it is not the only thing that can. Pancreatitis and Cushings disease are other common conditions that can be at fault of triggering DKA. It is not safe to assume that she has a urinary tract infection without evidence of it based on a bacterial culture of the urine. The culture can then insure that the appropriate antibiotic (AB) is prescribed. AB's are not innocuous drugs and should not be given unless needed. They can decrease the appetite of some dogs and lead to other GI signs as well. I would check with your vet first, but perhaps stopping the AB for 24 hours and seeing if that helps with appetite may be prudent.

If she is still not eating, it may be that there is still underlying disease going on. Many dogs with diabetes have concurrent pancreatitis. If so, she may need additional management of that disease. Appetite stimulants are one way, but in some cases, other drugs are needed as well.

As far as diet, if she did have or does have pancreatitis or if her triglycerides are elevated, a low fat prescription diet is indicated. if not, while higher fiber diets like w/d do help with regulation, they are not essential and the most important part of her diet it is that it is a consistent amount and time of the day as much as possible.

Here are a few links you may find useful:

Link 1

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi again, I have called the Vet but he is in surgery this afternoon so will call later. I wanted to update you that Roxy did finally eat some of her W/D food about an hour ago, but I did not give her another shot, since her orders are for a shot in the morning and again in the evening after her dinner. We are discovering today that she will eat straight chicken and beg for our food, which tells us she just doesn't like the food that much. Please confirm to me what I should do when she eats in the middle of the day like that . At breakfast she ate almost nothing, then later she got hungry so she ate chicken and about 1/4 cut of the W/D. Was I right not to give her another shot at that time even though her dose this morning was 1cc instead of 2cc as the Dr ordered yesterday when she didn't eat a full meal. I know I can ask him that too when he calls, I just don't want to do something wrong in the meantime. I'm new at this diabetes thing. And thank you for the links, they were very helpful.

I am sorry for the delay. I must have logged off just before you replied.

Hopefully by now you have spoken with your vet, but yes, it is always better to stay on the schedule and give a smaller dose if she didn't eat at the normal time. Even if she eats later in the afternoon, I would wait until her PM dose to give her next shot. It is always better to let them run a little high on blood sugar than to risk dropping to low.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thankyou so much. I am sorry that I could not tip more, but we are just getting through my husband having major head surgery the end of Sept and he is still off work, so I had to cancel my membership to this because after talking more with the vet and you I think we are on the road to recovery with Roxy. I appreciate your time so much.

You are very welcome and thank you for the positive rating and the bonus. It is truly appreciated.