How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jess K Your Own Question
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1512
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Jess K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 90 lb lab ate some grapes...we aren't sure how many.

This answer was rated:

our 90 lb lab ate some grapes...we aren't sure how many.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jake 4 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?
Customer: no, otherwise he is healthy.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Jake. Do you have any idea how long ago he ate the grapes? Does he have any underlying health problems?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He ate them an hour ago. He doesn't have any other issues.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should I take him to my vet so that they can make him throw up?

Ok. I would recommend inducing vomiting then, to see if we can get him to vomit up the grapes, particularly if we don't know how many he ate. Some dogs are more sensitive to grapes and raisins than others, and there is no way to truly tell which your dog will be. Some dogs eat them with no issue, but in others it can cause kidney issues.

Do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide at home? How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we have hydro peroxide. He is 95 lbs.

Ok. You can give him about 45 ml of hydorgen peroxide orally. Then walk him around on a leash so that if he vomits, you can get him away from the vomit right away (some silly dogs will try to eat the vomit afterwards!). If no vomiting occurs, you can repeat this one time (and only one time, or damage to the stomahc/esophagus can occur).

If you do not want to induce vomiting at home, then you can take him in to your vets office to induce vomiting. If you give the peroxide, and no vomiting occurs, or if he vomits, but the grapes do not come up, then I would take him in to your vet. They can give a special injection to induce vomiting and activated charcoal to help decrease absorption of the grapes.

Here is a little article on grape toxicity: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3550 FYI

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. We've decided to let the vet induce vomiting.

You are welcome! It is less messy that way and they have more effective means of doing so!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question.

Thank you and best of luck to you and your lab!!!

Jess K and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Veterinary Questions