Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She's vomiting, No but had small amount of soup last night

She's vomiting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No but had small amount of soup last night home made and that was the vomit. Small amount and she is drinking water well
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gabby 4 dachshund
JA: How old is Gabby?
Customer: 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gabby?
Customer: No healthy spayed female not overweight

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What was in the soup?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- How long since the last time she vomited?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Small amount potato cabbage carrots onion beef corn green beans
Not lethargic
Normally healthy dog
22lbs

Is it fair to say you saw all of the soup in the vomit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last vomit 10 minutes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Most but only small bits

I am sorry that your dog is vomiting, I know how stressful this could be for you. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm an emergency nurse for 23 years just uncertain if dog can take zofran

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions as you may already know. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In this case, the fact that she ate soup with onions I would place this very high on the list of possible causes. You see, onions are toxic to dogs; they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, damage to red blood cells leading to anemia, etc. So, if you are seeing evidence of the soup in the vomit this in a way is good because it decreases the toxic potential. In response to your question, do not give Zofran, instead, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol, Imodium or Zofran. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If she develops pale gums, becomes lethargic, develops bloody stool, abdominal swelling, etc. have her checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter