Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Dog has had upset stomach for a few days...I think it is

Customer Question

Dog has had upset stomach for a few days...I think it is because I switched his food too fast.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Davy Jones, he is 2 almost 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Davy Jones?
Customer: He has always had soft stool issues. We switched his food to try to address that. He takes a probiotic and something to help harden his poop.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe his symptoms?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Breed?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is a corgi. He weighs a bit under 40lbs (he is on a diet).
He has been having very loose stool. we out him on a bland diet and it got better, but when we went back to the food he had loose stool again. A few weeks ago he threw up a few time randomly, but was fine right after.
Because he is on a diet, he is also being a bit of a street food grabber!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- So the problem now is that his stool is loose?

2- Any vomiting?

3- What is the name of the food he is on?

4- Has he been dewormed? If so, what is the name of the dewormer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he stool is loose and he has been barking to go out more often.
He has not vomited this week
He is currently eating Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Duck & Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food, he also takes a probiotic and The Honest Kitchen Perfect Form Herbal Dog & Cat Nutritional Supplement
He has been dewormed
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a bit under 40lb
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Do you know the name of the dewormer?

2- How long since he was dewormed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am looking that up now
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Okay. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ugh my vet's pet portal is down I cannot get the name.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Okay, no problem. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, certainly the soft stool could be related to the diet change. However, your dog has a history of chronic loose stool. It is important to remember that there are parasites that are common and could play a role in chronic loose stool. For this reason, it is always a good idea to rule out parasites like coccidia, giardia, and whipworms by deworming as these parasites are often negative on routine fecal analysis. And, dewormer like Strongid which is commonly used does not treat them. I would strongly recommend you discuss with your vet about ruling out these parasites. Or, you can treat with Panacur (fenbendazole) given once a day for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks. Panacur will treat against Giardia and Whipworms. It is a very safe dewormer, it will not hurt your dog. To treat against coccidia you will need a prescription from your vet of Albon. Panacur can be bought online (amazon) and some pet stores. It also goes by the name of Safeguard. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, start him on again on the food that he did not have any diarrhea. Or, you can start him on rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into the regular diet over a period of 1 week.

3- Continue on the probiotic.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter