Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 15 years and 2 month old labrador. Her health has

I have a 15 years and 2 month old labrador. Her health has been okay with the usual hip and knee arthritis for an older dog. She is amazing to be 15!! This week she has volmitted a yellow bile, (one day it was blue color) each day. She isn't interested in eating or drinking water now. Yesterday she didn't eat at all. It it her time to pass or is something serious going on with her. THANK YOU!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bonnie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bonnie?
Customer: She had two TPLO surgeries years ago so is on denamarin meds and I give her a monthly shot of adequan for hip pain. She is also on gabapentin for pain. She is loved beyond measure and always with one of our family members at home. She is mostly inside. She can walk but this week isn't interested in her treats or chasing games.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, I haven't looked for that on her foot.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Bonnie; I know how distressing this must be for you and your family to see her not acting like her normal self.

I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. Any other symptoms such as weight loss or diarrhea?

2. Has any blood work been done on her recently?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No weight loss but she's had a little diarrhea- I haven't had blood work recently
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't want to call~ can you give opinion by typing?

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

No worries about a phone call; my state board prohibits me from answering that way anyway so I'm glad that you're happy with this format.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Of course, we always think the worst when our elder pets start to develop symptoms. It certainly possible that something might be going on with her systemically such as issues with her kidneys or liver or possibly even cancer, unfortunately.

However, it's also possible that she may have something such as a viral or bacterial infection or even late onset Inflammatory Bowel Disease which might account for her symptoms.

I probably wouldn't be too overly concerned about the bile that she's vomiting if she's not eating. This may simply reflect acid buildup in her stomach because it's empty. Over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) may help to reduce this sort of nausea. The dose would be 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day.

You might also consider taking her temperature if you have a thermometer; if it's elevated, then this may explain her behavior. Normal is between 100 and 102.5. Of course, then we'd have to wonder why she's running a fever and there are a number of possible explanations which range from a bacterial/viral infection to auto-immune diseases to tick diseases to cancer, etc.

Since blood work hasn't been done recently, this would be my first suggestion if a thorough physical exam doesn't pinpoint any issues. Then, depending on the results, you'll know how to proceed.

I wouldn't automatically assume the worst but I'd be prepared for it, given her age.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much!!!

You're more than welcome.

And, best wishes with Bonnie that this isn't anything too serious and that she can get past it. Deb