Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog is very well house trained and can hold it for

Customer Question

my dog is very well house trained and can hold it for long periods of time. all of the sudden yesterday and today he is wetting everywhere. What should I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: I just typed it
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he just shakes and starts peeing
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jok and he is from the humane society so estimated age 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jok?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Jok. I have several thoughts as to what might be causing his behavior; please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

It sounds as if Jok may have a urinary tract infection (UTI) which is going to be the most common cause for a house-broken dog to start urinating in the house such as you're describing.

Without a urinalysis, we wouldn't know for sure that Jok has a urinary tract infection but these conditions are typically treated with systemic antibiotics. Unfortunately, there are no over the counter drugs that will treat them; antibiotics would have to be dispensed by your vet
Some owners will use cranberry products such as Craninidin which may be helpful in reducing some of the signs associated with a UTI but they tend to be more effective in preventing recurrent problems.

It is important to treat these infections since the bacteria present in the bladder can potentially travel to the kidneys and cause significant damage to these organs.

Bladder stones are another possibility which I'll mention which can mimic a "simple" urinary tract infection but these patients either don't respond to antibiotics or the symptoms recur in a short period of time. Additional testing such as x-rays or ultrasound would be needed to rule in or out this condition.

For now, increased water intake is encouraged to help flush out the bladder until a urinalysis can be done and appropriate antibiotics started.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Jok. I was wondering how things are going with him? Deb