Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

What are the symptons in a dog, He drinks a lot of water and

what are the symptons in a dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: He drinks a lot of water and has a sore that does not heel
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Spike /12 years
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Spike
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spike?
Customer: Such as

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that you have concerns about your pet Spike's symptoms of drinking a lot of water and a sore that doesn't heal.

I just want to clarify.

Does Spike drink more water than he normally did in the past? Or has he always drank a lot of water?

Also is Spike also urinating more?

What kind of sore are we talking about here? How long has it been there?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
he is drinking a lot more and urinating more. Sore is on the back of his right leg "knee". it seems to hav healed but the fur has not covered it.

Ok so the sore has healed, but the hair has not grown back. Got it and thanks for clarifying.

So these symptoms of increased urination and drinking with an apparent slow haircoat regrowth from a previous skin lesion suggest an endocrine disorder, such as Cushing's disease or even Diabetes (usually an increase in appetite is also seen). A blood panel (CBC/Chemistry) + urinalysis is the best place to start for checking for these disorders and that would be my best recommendation at this point considering the clinical signs.

- Dr. H

A kidney or bladder issue is also possible. Which is why I recommended the urinalysis in conjunction with the bloodwork analysis. It also gives you a good overall analysis.

Please let me know if you have any questions about my recommendations or would like to discuss things further. I am here to help.

- Dr. H

*Please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided today. Thank you so much for your feedback!*