Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 86 lb German Shepherd has a case of diarrhea that won't

My 86 lb German Shepherd has a case of diarrhea that won't stop. I have tried plain rice which normally does the trick, but this time nothing has helped. His stool is soft but not excessively watery. What should I do to help him? My other GSD is fine and they eat the same food.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood or black material?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is the second day with this. I have checked his gums, they are pink and moist. The stools do not have blood or any dark matter, I have pressed on his belly with no visible discomfort. The yard and house are limited with what he could eat (no vegetation in the backyard, other than grass) and I don't think he's been in the trashcan for anything.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that Banshee hasn't any of those more serious signs nor is toxic ingestion high on our list of concerns here. With that aside, we can focus on our more common causes for diarrhea (ie bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, etc) but will also need to be wary of issues of the older individual (ie IBD, cancer, metabolic/organ dysfunction).

In any case, since this has been sudden in onset, we'd be most suspicious of those more common issues and can start some supportive care for them. Now the rice is a good start but usually we want to add a protein source to that. So, to the rice we need to think about adding boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. Furthermore, to bulk up his stools quicker we can add fiber (ie canned or boiled pumpkin) and an OTC canine probiotic (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to support the gut.

Otherwise, since he sounds quite runny and since there is no blood in the stools, we'd want to also start a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of a probiotic as well. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Banshee. And while the other dog being well means those individal issues have to be considered, it is possible that Banshee just doesn't have quite as robust an immune system as the other dog or that the other dog could catch in this in the week to come. In any case, we want to tread with care and start supportive care to try to settle his gut. Though if he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, check nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with antibiotics +/- anti-protozoals and further symptomatic treatments to settle this poorly gut and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm going to the store as soon as they open. Hopefully this will soothe my boy's GI and get him back to normal. Thank you for the help, I am really concerned about him.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan of action and hopefully we can just get this settled for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )