Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have 5 dogs..saw the empty container of brewers yeast in

Customer Question

I have 5 dogs..saw the empty container of brewers yeast in the floor with the top chewed off...how to tell which one did it is not easy..what to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: like i said, not sure which one did it..one is about 40 pounds and 4 years old, the other one is a shepherd, 3 years old and about 70 lbs
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Little One and Ozzie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ozzie?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news, brewers yeast is not in fact toxic to dogs, in fact brewers yeast tablets they are commonly given to dogs as a nutritional supplement. Generally speaking yeast is only a problem when it is live yeast in rising dough and the like.

2. All you need do in this sort of situation is to monitor your dogs for now. You may perhaps see a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea, but even that may be unlikely.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your any of your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
even though she/he ate 500 pills, no worries? right now, they seem fine..
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a half bottle of pills was at least 500...so, just keep watch?

I have known dogs eat similar large numbers of brewers yeast tablets before and only suffer mild gastroenteritis type symptoms, so you may want to sit things out and just observe your dogs. Your only other alternative if you want to take every possible precaution in this sort of situation is to make your dogs sick immediately and try recover the yeast tablets that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then that may well help. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best in case you want to go down this route : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

But please get back to me if anything changes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK..I think that I will walk them right now..they are both fine..not lethargic or anything..it just shook me up a little (smile)

This stuff is not really toxic to dogs but can cause a tummy upset if a lot has been swallowed, get back to me if you need to...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dogs are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the brewers yeast tablets ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, Dr. Scott...thank you for your interest in my pooches..! I was up practically all off night just "watching" them..since I wasn't sure which one was the culprit, I wanted to make sure they were OK. Needless to say, they all got a good night's sleep while I worried! smile
Anyway, all seems fine and I didn't see one adverse symptom or reaction to those pills.
Thank you for being there..so much appreciated.
Smiles and regards ***** ***** in Georgia

Brilliant ! Great news! They should be just fine now given the time scale ...

Thanks so much for the update, I was wondering how things were going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help and "just being there"...I love all of my animals and want to take good care of them as best as I can.
Thanks again! Rose in Georgia

No problem, glad to of service ...

Regards,

Dr Scott