Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a cooker spaniel mix that is vomiting and clear

Customer Question

I have a cooker spaniel mix that is vomiting and clear watery diarrhea.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I refuse the offer I am on limited funds
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is also lethargic

No problem Lisa, would you like a written reply ...

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

OK, please give me ten minutes or so to type out your answer ...

Hello again

Sorry to hear your Cocker is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Of course this sort of situation is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay. That said episodes of vomiting and diarrhoea { Gastroenteritis } are quite common in the dog and most cases are not so serious and there are a number of home remedies for gastroenteritis in the dog which some owners try before getting their local vet involved. These can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. Here are some examples.

2. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

3. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

4. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance, a tablespoon twice a day should be fine for an average sized Cocker Spaniel.

5. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Cocker's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks

No problem, very glad to have advised you..

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his gastroenteritis symptoms ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.