Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

When my dog lies on his back, I can feel a bone like Circle

When my dog lies on his back, I can feel a bone like Circle in the middle of his rib cage. Anatomy wise, it is in the place where the sternum ends/the xiphoid process is. Should I assume that's what it is or would I not be able to feel it if it is the sternum/xiphoid process?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brady. He is 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brady?
Customer: No, he is generally healthy.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. That area that you're feeling could be the xyphoid process. On some dogs it can be more prominent depending on how it formed. Some can have some irregularities there that cause it to protrude more. Some can have a situation called pectus excavatum where it depresses and comes out a little more. IF this area isn't mobile in the skin, it isn't painful, it isn't getting bigger and he's otherwise normal - then it wouldn't seem to be that worrisome. An x-ray of the area / chest could be done to confirm that the bone there is normal in overall appearance and not having any pathology or issues with it. A veterinary exam could be done to have them palpate it to give further confidence as to its origin. This is something that may be done now or at his next vet visit if nothing else is changing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you!I pressed it a bit to see if he had any reaction and he did not wince or make any noise that indicated he was in pain. The area does not seem to be at all mobile, I spent some time petting him and investigating the area and i am quite sure it isn't mobile or in the skin.I will monitor it to make sure the size doesn't increase and will be on the lookout for any other changes. Are there any symptoms, in particular, that I should be on the lookout for?

The big things to watch out for are it increasing in size or becoming painful. My big suspicion is the xyphoid process based on your description.

Hi Siobhan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?