How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 17834
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

100 lb dog ate a single Welch's fruit snack. First

Customer Question

100 lb dog ate a single Welch's fruit snack. First ingredient is grape puree/strawberry concentrate.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dot - 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dot?
Customer: nope. just 100 lbs and perfectly fine Just snuck it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

HI. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm glad to hear that you're aware of how grapes and raisins have the potential to be very bad things for dogs. Was this just one small fruit snack gummy (about the size of a nickel)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just one.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About the size of a dime.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Alright. The grape / raisin toxicity is still something that we don't know exactly what the actual toxin is. Could some grapes / raisins be more toxic depending on where they were grown or fertilizers / treatments used on them? Some dogs seem to be more at risk for the toxicity than others. I would say that in this situation, 1 of these snacks for a dog her size shouldn't be something to cause a toxicity. If she was my dog, I wouldn't feel that decontamination or hospitalization for therapy would be a needed step. Her size and this very, very small amount just don't raise the big red flags. Now, if this had been a good handful of grapes / raisins, then the situation would be one that I would get more alert to.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

In this situation, the processing of the extract in making the Gummy may have inactivated the potential components. The other realization is that these snacks actually have pretty little of the actual fruit component in them and a lot of gummy material.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I'm glad to help! Thanks again for being an observant and aware owner! Not all know the potential risk for grapes and raisins again!

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce