Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

She is normally very active and friendly. She has been in

Customer Question

She is normally very active and friendly. She has been in heat about a week and very lethargic, hardly moving at all. She doesn't seem to want to lie down but seems like she can hardly keep herself upright when sitting. Her heartbeat is heavy and fast. She hardly does anything at all. She has been bleeding regularly not excessively (I guess). She is gagging a lot with just mucus coming up if anything. First day wasn "t too bad but rest have been as described.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: Boxer mix, mostly boxer but some american staffordshire. has had all her shots.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
She is 8months old.
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 6 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that Bella is not feeling well. From your description, it sounds like she is experiencing abdominal pain. This is evident my the fact that she is reluctant to lay down. The fast heart beat makes me concerned that she is painful but may also signify that she needs fluids and has lost enough bodily fluid to be what we call hypovolemic. These things need to be evaluated by a veterinarian as I am concerned that she either has a severe gastroenteritis or a blockage from something she ate. Does she have a habit of eating things she shouldn't eat like toys, socks, clothing, underwear, trash or other non-food items?

The signs you are describing are not consistent with a dog in heat so I am worried that there is something else going on with her.

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 6 days ago.

Also, if you are near an emergency vet clinic, it would be best to have her evaluated tonight, however if there is no emergency vet close to you then I recommend having her evaluated by your vet as soon as you can tomorrow. This is a case of the sooner the better.