Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Have an older dog. I think he's 9 yr. He is more and more

Customer Question

have an older dog. I think he's 9 yr. He is more and more aggressive. He growls at me If I touch him when he's asleep he growls at me.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: I don't know. I think part of the problem is his mouth. I took him to the vet, but he passed it off as an age problem.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I think he's mouth. I can't really check because he will bite me.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear 9 yrs.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: He has always been aggressive towards me. I don't know why. He's getting worse.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What breed is Bear?

Did he get any kind of Dental exam?

Has he had any obedience training?

Is he allowed on furniture?

Can you describe a few times when Bear has become aggressive toward you such as what was going on right before it Happened? Please try to pick ones other than when he is sleeping?

Why do you think it is his mouth?

Is he eating well?

Does he seem to shed when you pet him?

Is he neutered?

Hi again,

I'm not sure you got my request for additional information. The answers to my request will help me give you an informated answer to your question. Below you will find the request for more information again.

What breed is Bear?

Did he get any kind of Dental exam?

Has he had any obedience training?

Is he allowed on furniture?

Why do you think it is his mouth?

Is he eating well?

Does he seem to shed when you pet him?

Is he neutered?