PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My daughters 18 moth old pit had a spine injury last May.

Customer Question

My daughters 18 moth old pit bull had a spine injury last May. She walks but her back legs were compromised.
Last Sunday I took her for a walk in the park and she grabbed a dead bird.
I could not get it out of her mouth before she ate it.
By Sunday night she had extreme diarrhea and was lethargic.
The next morning she ad a fever so I took her to my vet here is Dallas. My daughter lives out of town.
I told my vet about the dogs spine injury and that she had eaten part of a dead bird the day before.
The vet felt her abdominal and gave her some fluids that made the dog look like a camel and took blood work and sent her home.
The dog was worse in the morning and I thought that she was about to die. We took her back to vet and the gave her Iv fluids and sent her home. They told us to bring her back next day for more fluids. Her fever was still not gone the next day and when we took her back they said to just bring her back home since her fever was going down and she was drinking.
The next day she was no better.
I returned with the dog and asked the vet to please take an xrayand do more bloodwork.
The X-ray showed a bird bone in her stomach and the bloodworms showed pancreatitis.
I fell that the vet should have been more proactive concidering all of the information.
I read that dogs are more susceptible to pacreatic issues after a spine injury.
Am I overreacting? Should I change vets? What would you have done?
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

From the sound of it, your vet performed blood work on the initial visit which is precisely what should have been done. He also treated her symptomatically until the results were available. If anything, I would recommend finding a vet that can run blood work at the time of the exam. Had your vet had the results the same hour the blood work was run, she would have received treatment faster. I think that's the biggest slow-down involved in her care. Dogs with spinal injuries are, in general, more sensitive overall. What she eats will certainly be more reflective on a pancreatitis diagnosis than would be a spinal injury. I would not necessarily leave this vet's practice, but I would look for somewhere that offers blood work results same-day for when a pet is very ill.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
you did help me see that based on the way everything happened, she was doing her job. I have done some research and have a place here that recommends raw low fat dog food. I thank you. I love this dog so much and my daughter as well.
I think she has been having issues with her pancreas all along because now that she is on the medication, she is like her old self. Thank u!!

Excellent news. Glad I was able to help.