Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a question for about coughing and adequan.

I have a question for Rebecca about coughing and adequan.
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience. Best, Camille
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Max is coughing occasionally so we are worried if this is some heart problem or kennel cough, or even heart failure?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is Rebecca online?
HI, I am sorry, Rebecca has been unavailable, would you like me to open your question to other experts or would you prefer to wait for Rebecca?

Hello, JACustomer. What question can I answer for you in Rebecca's absence?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, we would like to wait for Rebecca

I'll be happy to opt out. Good luck!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have a question about coughing

Hi!

Sorry, I have been out of the country! What can I do for you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, we're so glad you are available!
We had some questions about coughing. Max started coughing a few days ago maybe after every 15-20 minutes? So we took him to the vet and was given hydrocodon. Is this medication going to treat the cough or is it just masking the symptom?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has almost stopped coughing after being on the meds. At most, he coughs maybe 3-4 times a day.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The vet did listen to his heart and said he has some arrhythmia. Could this cause coughing? Could this be congestive heart failure?

Hi!

Hydrocodone is a cough suppressant, so in one way it does just treat the symptoms. However, coughing can become a "vicious cycle": the more you cough, the more the inflammation, the more you cough, so suppressing the cough so the inflammation can heal is useful.

An arrhythmia by itself would not cause a cough, but if the arrhythmia leads to diminished heart function, heart failure, and that leads to congestive heart disease (fluid in the lungs from heart function being decreased) that can cause coughing.

A chest Xray should show you if there is congestive heart disease.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is long term hydrocodon harmful? For about two weeks?

I have many dogs on it for years if they need it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can the hydrocodon fix the coughing problem completely or do we need to find the underlying issue?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does hydrocodon react with atopica? Or high liver enzymes?

It depends on what the underlying issue is. It would be best to find out what that is.

Hydrocodone is not listed as unsafe to give with Atopica or to give with caution.

I would continue to monitor the liver enzymes, just to be safe.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If it is kennel cough, can hydrocodone treat it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If it is congestive heart failure, will we have seen the symptoms get worse even with hydrocodon?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can the vet detect congestive heart failure just by listening to the heart?

If it is kennel cough, hydrocodone would help with the cough but antibiotics may also be needed.

If it is congestive failure, I would expect the cough to get eventually worse even with hydrocodone.

You need Xrays not just a stethoscope to diagnose congestive heart disease.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have about four days of hydrocodone left. He has been taking it for about one and a half weeks now. If it is congestive heart failure, can the heart condition get worse if we keep giving him hydrocodone (which has been suppressing the cough)? What is the rate at which heart conditions can get worse or dangerous?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it possible for the coughing to completely go away with just administering hydrocodon?

It should not make a heart condition worse, but probably won't make it better.

Without knowing if there is a heart condition and what the condition is, it is hard to say at what rate it could become dangerous.

If the cough is due to inflammation, allergy, etc. it might go away with just a cough suppressant like hydrocodone.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I wish I could upload the video of the cough but it does not allow me to add the file. It is a dry cough sound. Can heart related issue cause this dry airy cough?

Usually a cough with congestive heart disease sounds moist because it is due to fluid building up in the lungs.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Other than kennel cough, are there other possibilities of dry coughing?

Yes: allergies, collapsing trachea, bronchitis, infections other than kennel cough.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If it is congestive heart failure, would we see other symptoms in early stages? And to clarify, so even with hydrocodon he would cough?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is taking quarter pill twice a day.

If it is congestive heart disease, the hydrocodone might control the cough initially, but not indefinitely. Coughing would be the main symptom in early stages.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there possibility that congestive heart disease can produce dry airy coughs? Or is it always a moist cough?

It could start sounding dry, but a cough from congestive heart disease is a cough trying to bring up fluid in the lungs.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We're not sure what we should do. Max started coughing about 1.5 weeks ago and we went to the vet right away and they gave us hydrocodone, which stopped the cough. So now, he coughs at most only 3-4 coughs a day. Before hydrocodone, he coughed every 20 minutes. We are worried that the reason for this coughing is because of the heart because he has a slight arrhythmia. We asked about chest x-ray but they said we don't need to take an x-ray. The only examination that happened was just listening to his heart. I think they want us to take more hydrocodone after the prescription ends in two days. Is coughing a non-serious matter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If it is a heart related matter, can the heart get worse as we are giving hydrocodone for 2+ weeks?

Coughing may not be serious, but it can be. I would consider a chest xray, if the coughing continues.

If it is a heart problem, being on hydrocodone should not make heart disease worse.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But as the hydrocodone is suppressing the cough, can the heart condition decline if the reason for the coughing is because of some heart issue? As the hydrocodone is masking the symptom?

If there is heart disease, suppressing the cough will not make the underlying heart condition better, or worse. The heart condition will probably progress.

If you are worried, have a chest Xray to see if the heart is enlarged, if there is fluid in the lungs.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But if it is a heart issue, the coughing will continue even while on hydrocodone?

It might or might not. It depends on how severe and how advanced the heart disease is, what kind of heart disease, etc.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We really want to take the x ray but the vet says we don't have to.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is long term hydrocodone bad? For about 3 weeks?

Long term hydrocodone should not be bad. I have had dogs on it for years.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it normal for vets to prescribe hydrocodone for three weeks without taking an x-ray?

That depends on the veterinarian. I would offer an Xray to most owners of a coughing dog, especially if the cough was persistent.

How is Max doing? Do you have any more questions on this thread?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has two pills of hydrocodon left and he is not coughing much, at most two coughs per day. Can we rate this question now and then ask follow up questions when he is off of the hydrocodone?

Of course you can.

Good the cough is getting better, thanks for the update.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Thanks for the great rating and bonus!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, we had a follow up question. So could the coughing be because of heartworm? Can Hydrocodone suppress the cough from the heartworm? We live in WA state and our vet said we do not need heartworm prevention.

Heart worm does cause coughing, and hydrocodone would suppress such a cough. Heart worm seems unlikely in the state of Washington, but if you are worried then have a simple blood test done to find out.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would there be other symptoms for heartworm?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Except coughing while on hydrocodon?

Coughing is the main symptom with heartworm, then you may see weight loss. The blood test will tell you if this is heartworm

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your answers. So Max did not take any hydrocodone yesterday and today morning, and he is not coughing at all. Do you think if he has a heart issue, such as congestive heart disease, he would cough when he didn't take hydrocodone for a day? He has been taking hydrocodone for about 1.5 weeks and yesterday was the day we ran out of the medication.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have not heard him cough this morning as well.

I can't say for sure he does not have heart issues, but it is a good sign his coughing has stopped.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has not coughed and it's been 2.5 days since his last dose. Does this mean it is not a heart issue?

The longer he goes without coughing the less likely that the cough was due to a heart problem. I can't say for certain he does not have heart disease without being able to listen to him with a stethoscope or see a chest Xray.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your helpful answers, we really appreciate it!

You are welcome!