Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

She is congested and sneezing. We've been doctoring her for

Customer Question

She is congested and sneezing. We've been doctoring her for almost two years. She's had benadryl, hydroxyzine, guaifenesin, zeniquin, antiinflammatories. This is work for a while, then she gets bad agsin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sadie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?
Customer: No. She's 13 years old. We also had a CT scan done in January
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has a nasal culture been performed?

Was anything of interest found on the CT?

Has she has a rhinoscopy?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No culture or rhinoscopy. We opted for the ct scan to rule out the most serious condition, a tumor. The scan was negative for growths but showed inflammation.

Excellent. Your next steps should be the rhinoscopy with culture and biopsy, if indicated.

These tests would allow the vet to look at the tissues close up to see if there is anything obvious that is wrong. We can see bacterial and fungal infections in this area that can cause similar symptoms. Biopsies are often taken to be sure that there are no abnormalities on a cellular level of the tissue (in essence to confirm the presence of just inflammation or something worse, if present). The culture will help determine if there is any antibiotic course (or set of courses) which would effectively treat this type of affliction.

Be advised, if this has been prolonged that erosion of the nasal terbinates may have occurred at which point you may not ever get ahead of the symptoms even if effectively treated.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
You've been very helpful. We fear anesthesia because of her age. Thank you very much

Good luck!