Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My two pit bulls app. 10 months old ingested 42.5 grams of

Customer Question

My two pit bulls app. 10 months old ingested 42.5 grams of California raisins. I'm not sure how long ago but it couldn't be longer than thirty minutes. So far they are assymptomatic- sleeping right now. What do I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

If they have had these in the past 30 minutes, then its too soon for signs.Though as raisins are potentially dangerous at any dose (as the toxin hasn't been isolated) and can cause kidney failure for our dogs, it is best to be proactive here.

Specifically , we'd want to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move their abdomens around or get your wee ones walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of their stomachs and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, raisins are a serious worry here for OJ and Ninja. Therefore, we need to start the above now. Any delay or struggles and we'd want them to their vet to get these out of their stomach +/- IV fluids to support their kidneys and avoid harm.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you use the charcoal treatment do you abstain from the hydrogen peroxide? Also my dogs weigh 77lbs and55lbs. Also they are eating right now. Can we stick a finger down their throat to induce vomiting and avoid these other methods. Is vomitung just the needed result? And maybe give them a laxitiv
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Given the time frame, I'd lean to inducing vomiting and using the activated charcoal as a follow-up to be safe. And it isn't safe for you to use a finger to induce vomiting nor would a laxative be any help.. If you aren't keen to use peroxide, then injectable Apomorphine from their vet is the other safe alternative.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oj And Ninja. How is everything going?

Dr. B.