Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 14 year old chihuahua. Just got home and she has

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old chihuahua. Just got home and she has bloody stool and won't eat anything. She usually eats like crazy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the chihuahua's name?
Customer: Elenor
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elenor?
Customer: A couple months ago our vet started her on meds for her heart.furos something or other.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Elenor is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the medication she is on?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't quite read the vets writing on the bottle.furosemite? Something like that. It's for a n enlarged heart.

Furosemide, yes, this is a diuretic.

2- Is she lethargic?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She definately isn't as lively as usual when I just get home. I don't know if she got into anything.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gums don't seem out of ordinary. She has no teeth.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with Elenor. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see bloody stool this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines) which can be the result of a primary disorder in the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. Unfortunately, without a hands-on examination, I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease. The fact that she has a history of heart disease we need to also consider her heart as a possible cause. For this reason, I would strongly recommend having her checked today by your veterinarian for a hands-on examination. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah we started her on the same diet you suggested a couple months ago. Problem is she won't eat it.

Perhaps you can pick up some i/d food in your vet's office. Or, add some ground beef to make it more palatable and see if she will eat it. In addition, she may need additional medication to help the inflammation in the colon. Unfortunately, this medication is only available through a licensed veterinarian, it is not available over the counter.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter