Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I was walking her and she began to throw up several times.

Customer Question

I was walking her and she began to throw up several times. After that she didn't seem to have any energy and at one point laid down on her side. I practically had to drag her home, and even carried her on my shoulders for a couple of blocks. She got back enough energy to get home and seemed a little more energetic. After a while though I thought it looked like her face was puffy. Any thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A golden retriever who will be 8 months on the 20th of this month.
JA: OK. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the golden retriever?
Customer: She did get home and eat some food, but when she went out on our porch with me, she acted like she had something in her ears. I cleaned them out, but she still shakes her head.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie plants, chemicals, drugs/meds, etc)?

Can she keep water down?Anything in her mouth or sores/blisters/redness inside? Anything in the roof of the mouth?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she can keep water down. No sores in her mouth. Gums are pink and moist. No stomach discomfort and no diarrhea. Can you account for the puffiness in her face?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She seems to have gained some energy back, but by this time in the day, she's ready to be more active.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Am I going to get a response?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Based on the signs we are seeing, we need to tread with care. Her sudden onset of signs on the walk raise real worries of toxin ingestion (ie plants, drugs, chemicals, bee stings, spider bites, snakes, etc). This could certainly cause vomiting and also facial swelling (where infectious agents wouldn't do so).

Now just since I cannot see where you are located in the US, you need to check her face and make sure there are no signs of a snake bite. If there is, she needs to be seen urgently. Otherwise, since we have a possible toxicity concern, I’d note that you may want to consider treating her with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risks.

Afterwards, we can try to counter any nausea with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Further to that, we’d want to plan to feedsmall meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free. When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Finally, once her stomach is settled, we can use an antihistamine to counter the puffiness. We'd not use it first since it can cause vomiting if a dog is nauseous. In regards ***** ***** Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl) can be used at a low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, we need to tread with care since this raises worries of a toxicity. Therefore, the above would be our best course of action if snake bites can be excluded. As long as she is settling, with the above we are happy. But any deterioration and we need to have her seen urgently for symptomatic care to counter this suspect allergic/toxicity reaction.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

PS- Absolutely, but as you can see I had quite a bit to type in reply.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
While we were on the walk she was in the grass and at one point jumped and started paying attention to one of her hind paws. I took the paw to make sure there wasn't anything in it and didn't find anything. Check the ground and there were no signs of a snake. She paid attention to it a few more times but then continued on. A short distance after that is when she started to throw up. I'm more inclined to think she may have stepped on a bee. With that said in her vomit were several strings from a rope toy she tore up earlier in the morning. She's done this before and thrown up as well, but not to this extent.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Even if it was a bee, there doesn't seem to be any inflammation on any of her pads.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

If she could have contact with a bee that could certainly trigger this combination of signs but usually the swelling from stings will come up where the contact was made. So, we'd be more suspicious of a facial sting not a paw one if a bee is our trigger. And of course, while the rope toy pieces could cause the GI signs, it shouldn't have caused facial swelling. Still, the above can help us address all angles here.

Best wishes

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There doesn't seem to be any swelling on any of her pads, and I don't think she was stung on the face.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

If you don't think she was stung in the face and didn't eat a bee, then its not likely to be our cause here.Therefore, those other concerns would be higher on our differential list for these signs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm certain it wasn't a snake. But without swelling in the area not too sure it was a spider either. She does pick up stuff on our walks, so she may have eaten something. But as I said before, she is keeping food and water down now. The big concern for me was the swelling in her face.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I am certainly glad we can rule that out, but in any case we need to start the above to counter these signs. If she isnt vomiting anymore, you can start the antihistamines. Else she would need to see her vet for injectable steroids +/- anti-nausea medication to get this all settled.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Take care,

Dr. B.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )