Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My dog had a beef bone around 48 hours ago (I know it wasn't

My dog had a beef bone around 48 hours ago (I know it wasn't the best choice of treat but she got it as a gift and I felt bad taking it away from her.) Around 12 hours later when I got home from work she was standing over a pile of vomit and looked like she had just done it. I found pieces of the bone in the vomit, however, she was acting normal afterwards. We went to the dog park and she played and ran around like normal, although, had a couple episodes of watery diarrhea at the park which expelled more pieces of the bone. When we got home she ate all of her dinner and was drinking water, and this morning her stool was normal with no sign of any more pieces of bone. Then when I just got home from work and took her out she had half of her BM normal, solid stool, followed by mucous-like water diarrhea with a few drips of blood towards the end. I called the vet and they said it could wait until tomorrow, but should I take her to an emergency vet? Concerned for the possibility of a blockage, or a tear in her intestines.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian.

I understand that your pet Ellie had a beef bone that has been giving her a stomach and intestinal upset for the past 48 hrs. Based on your description she has had normal signs of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (bloody stool + vomiting) that is commonly caused by eating something like a beef bone. The irritation to her GI lining causes the few drops of blood that you are seeing.

I don' see any concern for a blockage here based on your description.

Is she otherwise acting normal? Alert?

- Dr. H

Although intestinal perforation is possible with any sharp object ingestion, typically the signs of perforation include severe lethargy, abdominal pain, excessive vomiting, and a nearly unresponsive pet.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
she is acting 100% normal, and eating and drinking normally. Would hemorrhagic gastroenteritis cause normal stool followed by the diarrhea in the same BM?Thanks!

Yes it sure can cause normal followed by abnormal stool because one part of the intestines is affected while the other isn't. Causing the separate stool consistencies.

You are very welcome for the advice. Glad to help! She can wait until tomorrow for treatment. : )

- Dr. H

You can feed her a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or cottage cheese to help ease her stomach and intestines until her appt.

* Please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided today for you and your pet. Thank you so much for your feedback and have a wonderful rest of your day*

Best regards,

Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ellie. How is everything going?