Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog has about a 3/4 inch gast on her front leg just

Customer Question

Our dog has about a 3/4 inch gast on her front leg just above her "ankle". She holds it up and will not put any weight on it and has been mostly sleeping and laying around all day. There is no swelling and appears to be no fracture as she lets me feel her leg and she does move it. She has been cleaning it herself. Should we clean it, put some antibiotic on it and wrap it or let her continue to take care of it? And can we give her a baby asperin or regular bayer asperin for pain and inflamation? She is a german shepherd/boxer mix and weighs 40-45 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mabel May and she is 11 mos old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mabel May?
Customer: No...she has always been very healthy with excellent checkups and all shots up to date.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Oh dear! We absolutely do not want to let Mabel May lick this wound. Dog saliva is full of bacteria and can easily lead to secondary infection. Therefore, you need to block her access to the wound using an e-collar (we want to keep the wound uncovered if we can to let it dry out). As well, you need to flush this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to help keep infection away. And pus/odor to this wound or if is is gaping open and we'd need to think about having her seen for stitches to get that skin aligned to heal +/- antibiotics and dog safe anti-inflammatories ( our OTC options aren't dog safe and Aspirin is a no-no if we have a wound since its a blood thinner) to ensure this heals without issue.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )