jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.

My Rat terrier female dog has a bloating stomach problems,

Customer Question

my Rat terrier female dog has a bloating stomach problems, what kind of medication is available as an over-the counter medications
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rat terrier's name and age?
Customer: Diva, and I believe she is 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diva,?
Customer: I believe she ate some spoiled items from a a dumpster area. and since then has started bloating condition
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 5 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It always worries me to hear about a dog with a distended stomach as this could indicate bloat. Bloat (Gastric Dilatation) may or may not involve stomach torsion (twisted stomach). Common symptoms are attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful) and may continue to try to vomit, dog just doesn't seem like themselves, a hunched up posture, anxiety and restlessness, a distended stomach that is tight like a drum, gums may be dark red in early stages and white or blue in later stages. These are the most common symptoms and the list goes on.

If you believe your dog has bloat they should be seen immediately. Simethicone products like gas-x may help while you take him into the vet. Simethicone dosages can be found here:

You can read more on bloat here.

If your dog eliminated recently then constipation should not be causing a distended stomach. Parasites can sometimes cause a distended stomach and lead to a loss of appetite as well though we usually see abnormal stools with parasites.

If your dog may have ingested a bone or sharp pointed object, it may have punctured the gastrointestinal tract. You can read about this here:

Cushing disease can cause a bloated stomach as well. You can read about this condition here:

Only you can see exactly how sick your dog is and make the determination on whether an ER visit is necessary, but I can give you the possible causes to help you make the decision. If the ingestion of items from a dumpster area may have included bones or other sharp objects then I would have him see sooner rather than waiting at all. They could do diagnostic imaging to determine what the cause is.

Let me know if finances are an issue as there are some places that give a free office visit.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I saw your other question and it really should have been a response on this page so you would not be billed for another question. You also need to rate the question before I receive any compensation. Below are places who help with vet bills. Following that list are other resources including the list of vet who offer an initial free office visit.

Veterinary Bill Assistance Programs:
1. The Big Hearts Fund:
2. Cats in Crisis:
3. Diabetic Cats In Need:
4. The Dog And Cat Cancer Fund:
5. Frankie's Friends:
6. Handicapped Pets Foundation:
9. The Mosby Foundation:
10. The Onyx and Breezy Foundation:
11. Paws 4 A Cure:
12. The Pet Fund:
13. Pets-DC:
14. Shakespeare Animal Fund:

This site may have additional resources as well.

These vets may offer a free initial visit though you may have to pay for extra procedures and medications. See the next one for the coupons.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for detailed responses and other websites to visit, Help me out on your last statement, about " let me know if finances are an issue as there are some places that give a free office visit." being in the Conroe/Magnolia Area area code 77354 what places would be available, name of the clinic, location and phone number.

I did give you the link to them but let me put your information in there.

There are 10 VCA hospitals close to you. They are listed on this site.

Get your coupon here: