jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.

She is a boxer she is 5 yrs and she is been with a lot of

Customer Question

she is a boxer she is 5 yrs and she is been with a lot of saliva since Sunday and 2 or 3 times a day she is vomiting a foam saliva and she is sad
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that noticed
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: to ptsmart for nail cut and ear cleaning and she started there we thought she was nerves but since then she feels a little better and then she gets sick again, we are giving her a little of peptobismol
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about peptobismol?
Customer: no I know that is for human but we give her like half of a teaspoon
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 8 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Excessive saliva and gulping and licking his mouth are signs of mouth pain, nausea or sometimes a seizure. Check your dog’s mouth for tartar on the teeth, possibly red gums, darkened teeth, broken teeth or something caught between the teeth or gums. If you find something stuck, try and remove it. If it is bad teeth, you can give him Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.

Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:

If you suspect it may be due to nausea you can try some Pepto-Bismol which can be given to a dog at 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea. So half a teaspoon won't be doing her much good. If your dog becomes uncomfortable, you should take her into the vet.

If it is possible that your dog ate something toxic such as chocolate, cocoa mulch, antifreeze, medications they will need to see a vet immediately.

You can read more about excessive salivation on the following website:

You might want to go ahead and add a probiotic to her food to add good bacteria into her gastrointestinal tract and aid in digestion. Fortiflora is one probiotic frequently used. Many pet stores sell probiotics. Break her meals up into four portions and feed her 4 times a day to prevent the excess bile which it sounds like she is vomiting up. You might try pepcid instead of pepto-bismol as it works on excess acid. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

If it is possible that she ingested something when at petsmart, I'd have her seen by your vet as well. You can try my suggestions and see if there is improvement but definitely check her gums and teeth over well. You might need to have your vet check her ears as well. Ear infections can lead to disturbances in the vestibular system which can cause nausea, and other symptoms. I'll go ahead and give you information on this, though it may just be starting for her and the symptoms might not be that noticeable.

Symptoms of vestibular disease include standing with legs spread out, swaying, head tilt, abnormal eye movement, walking sideways, falling over and may include vomiting. There are a few things that can cause this condition such as an ear infection, some medications and old age. Have your Vet check your dog for this condition. Here are some great sites on this condition:

The good news is that if this is the problem and it is due to old age, the condition normally resolves itself over a few weeks. If due to fluid in the ear (ear infection) clearing the infection takes care of the problem. Your vet might prescribe dramamine or bonine to help with the symptoms . You can read about dramamine and bonine usage, precautions and dosage here:

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.