Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

12 plus year old Doberman has large epulis upper right

Customer Question

12 plus year old Doberman has large epulis upper right canine
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Doberman?
Customer: upper right canine epulis...pre-surgery EKG results unsatisfactory Dr wants ultrasound to investigate further anyway to remove growth without anesthesia
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Doberman's name and age?
Customer: 12-13 years old
JA: What is the Doberman's name?
Customer: Woody
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Woody?
Customer: he is hypothyroid since i adopted him in 2006
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 days ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Any time in this breed we have an abnormal ECG then an echocardiogram +/- consultation with cardiologist and chest X-rays are recommended. We need to ensure there is not dilated cardiomyopathy or other heart disease.

What confuses me is that there is discussion to deal with a large epilus without anesthesia? I am not sure that is going to be possible. If you attempt this then it can be quite painful for him. There are also no great sedative-only drugs that I would consider safer than general anesthesia for this procedure. General anesthesia could be done with proposal and gas which is by far safer than a prolonged injectable sedative drug (like ketamine) since it cannot be reversed. Domitor would be a very bad option for him given his age and the question of heart issues.

It is also important to discuss your goals with regard to this mass. Are you certain it is an epilus? If so, then these are benign and complete surgical removal (even using a laser to remove) is unlikely to be achieved. We are usually looking at debunking the mass. Perhaps, a veterinary dentist could achieve complete removal but it would require an extensive procedure in a large mass. If you are doing this to biopsy the mass and find out if it is cancer versus an epilus, then I would definitely proceed with the cardiac evaluation prior and then discuss the safest options for anesthesia (as noted above) but I do not think there is any option for a no-anesthesia procedure that would be for anything other than a superficial biopsy.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.