Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a 12 year old black labrador. She has started to have

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 12 year old black labrador. She has started to have drops of urine where ever she goes. It's not a lot of urine but she can't seem to control this. She is her normal self in eating, drinking and behaviour is normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tess
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tess?
Customer: She has not been spayed as I was hoping to have a litter from her. I decided not to in the end. She has always been a really healthy dog but am aware that she is getting quite old for a labrador
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Tess. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me: Has she had an x-ray to look for bladder stones?Does it seem like she is producing more urine than she used to? When was her last heat cycle? I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello. Tess is not more than usual. It's just that when she is lying down on her dog bed or whilst she is just standing a bit of urine comes out. It's not a full wee. Sometimes I notice drops on the floor. It's like she can't control it. She is her normal self so not she if it's due to old age or a medical problem? I haven't taken her to see the vet yet as she doesn't seem to be unwell. I'm just wondering if it's just incontinence in an old dog or a more underlying problem.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her cycles are quite irregular but the last one was in August
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

Just logged back on and typing in more information now. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

I want to start by letting you know that urinary incontinence without any other underlying problems can occur in an older dog and is more common in females. The most common presentation is one where you find the bed is damp on occasional mornings. It's less common for this to cause dribbling of urine while standing or walking.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

I also want to let you know that many dogs who suffer this type of uncomplicated incontinence can be helped. We have a few different medications to choose from, and most dogs can be well-controlled with some type of oral medication on a regular basis.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

That being said, it's important to recognize that this type of urinary incontinence is sometimes due to another underlying problem, even - as is the case for Tess - when the dog isn't showing any other symptoms. Bladder stones are one common cause. Another common cause is any of the category of diseases that cause more urine than normal to be produced: diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, thyroid disease, etc.

With that in mind, even though she isn't acting otherwise ill, a trip to the vet is in order. That way she can be screened for bladder stones and these other diseases. If something is found, it can be addressed. If bladder stones and other metabolic diseases are ruled out, your vet can prescribe a medication for relief of incontinence so you can see if that works for her.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going for Tess and if there is anything else I can help you with...