Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

They may have swallowed needles but I'm not sure. Kenai is

Customer Question

They may have swallowed needles but I'm not sure.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kenai is one year old and Alua is fourteen months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kenai?
Customer: He had a GITract infection as a pup.
Submitted: 2 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** How long ago do you think this happened?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
It was while we were asleep, but after my dad left for work. So it had to be after 5 AM this morning. We found the torn up pin cushion and most of the needles but I didn't know how many there were.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 days ago.

Ok. Did he or didn't he. At 3 months of age, they can be curious and get into trouble. Honestly, taking an x-ray with your vet will tell 100% if he did or didn't eat the needle. A needle is metal so it shows yes or no if it is there. These are situations where a lot of times they don't eat these things.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I can't tell. It's possible he or my other dog ate one. I just want to know what signs to look out for. I don't have the money right now for xrays when there's a possibility that there's no danger, but I am worried.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 days ago.

A needle being swallowed has a chance of passing through benignly. It is a little luck the helps that out. What I wouldn't want to see is loss of appetite for over 24 hours, vomiting or abdominal discomfort as these would be possible signs that it was swallowed and is possibly causing an issue. The best thing to do is to feed them their regular food and keep everything the same so nothing else is an "x" factor to cause changes in their activity / behavior / eating.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Alright. We gave them a little coconut oil to help with any possible passing.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 days ago.

I wouldn't give any more. Natural GI motility will make it move or not. Anything "new" being given could cause some stomach upset and that would blur the picture.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Okay, good to know. That was just advice from a vet I spoke with when Kenai ate cooked chicken bones. Thank you so much for the advice.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 days ago.

Some vets like feeding things to help stuff pass through. I'm not one of them. I'm hoping for the best for them!

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you! I can understand the different opinions. It's always good to have an expanse of options and thoughts.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 days ago.

I'm glad to help. Tell everyone to stay out of trouble!