Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Iggy limping, seems to not want to put pressure on ankle, do

Iggy limping, seems to not want to put pressure on ankle
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: do not find any issue with feet or nails. But did trim nails just before issue started
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: 9 years, female, seizures in the past t ( no episodes for 2 years +) healthy and never had this isssue before

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ankle is flexible ( dog allows me to move freely) shoulder does not seem to bother her ( allows me to move leg freely)

Hello, again, My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How soon after trimming the nails did the lameness start?

3- Is she lame in a front or back leg?

4- Any pre existing medical conditoins?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
later in evening following nail trim
- two days
- front leg
- only pre existing - seizures two + years back

1- Did she bleed from any of the nails?

2- Was it a struggle to clip her nails?

3- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
this dog is a rescue, there is a scar above ankle / hair loss - it is believed ( from rescurer group ) this may be the sight were she suffered a cut.
- no bleeding ( my first thought)
- no struggle ( she does have a tendency to pull immediately follow the nail clip)( at the time did not seem to bother her)
- 12 - 14 lbs

Thank you for answering all of may questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Bradly, I am sorry that you are having this problem with Iggy. In response to your question, in any case of a front limb lameness, we need to rule out a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury, a fracture, joint disorders, or a pinched nerve, etc. Unfortunately, on history alone without a hands-on examination, it will not be possible for me to pinpoint the source of the lameness, I am sorry. I am going to make some recommendations if no improvement within 1-2 days the next step would be an orthopedic examination with your family veterinarian. This si what you can try:

1- Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1/4 (one-quarter) of a tablet every 12 hours for 5 days. You can buy buffered aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- Rest her, no running or jumping. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.

3- If no improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for an orthopedic examination. If cost is a concerned look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK, thanks. This helps. Mainly checking to see if I missed something. WIll be headed to her vet as needed.
Thank you.

You're welcome. :)