Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog just jumped off my lap and is yelping as though he

Customer Question

hello my dog just jumped off my lap and is yelping as though he has hurt his front paw
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: he is 5 months old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buster
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?
Customer: no not really they did say that his back legs needed careful attention because of something in the birth
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he put the foot down on the ground at all?

Are there are wounds, sores, or swellings on the leg, foot, or between the pads?

Any areas of discomfort when you press anywhere on the leg?

When you flex or extend the joints?

Any bone instability or crunching?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I think he must have twisted his leg when he jumped off of me. I was trying to brush him and he didnt like it. He seems in pain coz he is yelping lots
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

Thank you,

Now we need to tread with care when our little ones injure themselves as he has. He has likely strained/sprained a muscle, but we can see young dogs actually fracture elbows and wrist bones by jumping the wrong way.

Therefore, we’d want to strictly rest him starting now. No stairs, jumping on/off furniture. If he cannot be rested, then Buster may need to be restricted to a “safe room” or dog crate.

While monitoring his movement, we’d also want to warm compress this sore leg. This can reduce muscle inflammation and reduce any swelling that may arise in the next few hours. If you do not have a warm compress at home, you can make one by filling a sock 2/3rds full of uncooked rice. This can be microwaved for a minute or so until warm. Shake it to distribute the heat (and do check its not too warm). This can be rewarmed as needed.

Finally, if he is very sore and cannot settle, then we’d want a check with his vet. They can dispense puppy safe pain relief (as our own could cause him a stomach ulcer or cause real harm) and if they feel there may be a bone fracture then an xray would be ideal. Especially since we always have to be wary of growth plate fractures (which if damaged can affect the leg growing to its full potential).

Overall, if he is this sore, we do need to tread with care. A strain is most likely but with his being so young, we do have a risk of fractures. So, we’d want to start the above and monitor closely. And if he is still favoring it by the time his vet opens a check up for pup safe pain relief would be ideal for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )