Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Noticed that our dog sounds like she is always trying to

noticed that our dog sounds like she is always trying to clear her throat, I have also noticed she is not barking, she will eat her food and water and is alert and will play
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zia, just turned 3, she is a Golden retriever. we just moved from Tn to chicago 4 m months age and I do not have a vet yet,
JA: How old is Zia?
Customer: 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zia?
Customer: no She is healthy and UTD on shots

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Any coughing, gagging, retching, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
past 24 hours, yes cough and retching no vomiting
gums pink
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i am leaving for work so will have limited access and delayed response
I am trying to get to a vet this afternoon. concerned is this is emergent or can wait a few hours

No worries, I am just typing my reply and will post in a moment.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Now if she is breathing fine and has pink gums, this isn't an emergency.

Now when we see sudden onset throat clearing, we do have a few concerns. First, if she has perhaps irritated her throat (ie eating grass, hard kibble, eating bits of a chew, etc), then this could cause this. Otherwise, common concerns include bacterial upper airway infections (ie kennel cough), parainfluenza and bacterial tracheitis.

Therefore, with all of this in mind, we do need to monitor her closely. As her signs are mild and since she is otherwise well, you can try her on a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with her. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving her to show these signs. Furthermore, if she has a throat irritation, then soaking her kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce her signs.

Overall, if her signs are sudden in appearance, then the a bit of throat irritation and our infectious causes would be most likely here . Therefore, you can soothe her throat with the above if her signs are mild. That said, if she doesn't settle within a day or so, then it'd be advisable to have her checked by a local vet. They can confirm if a bacterial or viral infection is suspect. Depending on their findings, they can address infectious cases with antibiotics and advise you if there is anything else suspect for her irritated throat.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks she seems to be breathing fine it's not labored
Thanks for your help!
You are very welcome,
I am very glad that she is and we can try the above to see if we can soothe this for her.
All the best,
Dr. B