Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My maltipoo had esclipsia 1.5 years ago and she was saved.

Customer Question

My maltipoo had esclipsia 1.5 years ago and she was saved. If she is on the proper supplements will she be able to breed again? Or should I not? Some sites say yes and some say.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Nothing is wrong with her at this time, but when she had a litter of puppies about 1.5 years ago I saw her shivering and took her to ER when she was diagnosed with esclipsia. If I give her all the supplements she needs can I breed her again? Or is it not advisable. Some sites say fine and others say no.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: The doesn't hurt anyway. What I am describing occurred 1.5 years ago. I just wonder if she is up to date on her calcium or other supplements, would it be ok to breed her again? She was at the vet's office when I saw her shaking and this was the verdict. She was sent home from me.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your vet's dog?
Customer: I am the owner of my dog. The vet was who I saw at ER when she was shivering and this happened over a year ago. We gave her calcium and she has been well.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chloe Joy
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Ideally, no. Anytime that we know that a dog has had problems in the past, we should avoid breeding them as there's a very good chance that they will have problems again. If you do choose to breed her again, she needs to have a supplement approved by your vet for her needs typically started at least halfway through the pregnancy and especially through her nursing. Keep in mind that dogs can die from eclampsia, so the risk does exist of Chloe having major complications and you being left to hand raise a litter of orphaned puppies, which may include around the clock feedings for 4-6 weeks. Take this into consideration before making the decision to breed her again. My recommendation would be to spay her and allow her to live the remainder of her life as a pet.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 hours ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?